Wednesday 18 April 2012

Molly in recovery

Molly Meldrum

Molly's letter

Molly Meldrum, the well known TV personality who suffered a severe head injury after a fall on 15 December last year, appears to be recovering well. He has written an open letter expressing his thanks for the attention and well-wishes he received after his fall.

Part of the letter is reproduced on this news site

Molly said: "My life changed forever when I fell off the roof".

"I can't say my life flashed before my eyes, but I have had plenty of time to reflect in the past few weeks, and I realise just how lucky I am".

"I wish I could reply to all the cards and messages, but it's impossible - it would take all year and I'd never get my book finished!" he wrote.

The letter comes not long after the recording of an interview by journalist Jennifer Keyte which will air on Today Tonight. It will make fascinating viewing.

Prognosis and recovery

Molly appears to be making a good recovery from his head injury, particularly given his age (66) and the severity of his injury. He appears to be alert and very articulate.

However, an article on news.com.au reveals that he also tires easily, becomes stressed under pressure and is walking slowly.

These are common outcomes of head injury or traumatic brain injury (TBI). Depending on many factors, including the severity of the TBI and the part of the brain affected, slowed processing, fatigue and difficulties managing stress are to be expected following a TBI. These can be short or long term effects. Again, depending on a number of factors, many skills are also often retained. These tend to be those skills that have been well practised, such as literacy skills.

The human brain is complex, as are the outcomes of TBI. To learn more about how the outcomes of TBI can be assessed, please contact us

No comments:

Post a Comment